Wednesday, June 15, 2011

An entire subculture appears to have disappeared.

           I noticed their  absence when I returned from my absence of 13 years.
      I remember their fresh cologne on old sweat and urine. Their "devil may care" attitude.
      When I finally got a day shift, after a year and a half of driving these professional imbibers home at 2am, I noticed they were out there all day too. I drove them home for their lunch naps, and back when they woke up, for their second shifts.
       What I really noticed upon my return to Sacramento, and cab driving, is that I no longer use up a large can of Lysol in one week. I don't really have to vacuum the seats every single time. The old ones have discovered the magic of the normal: "daily bath", or: They all died. Or: now I hear they are all at the Monte Carlo.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lorraine, comming at ya from Hayfork. Just wanted to say hi and check out your blog...If you are ever in the fork stop in and say HI,,Hugs, Diane and Larry Glass

    ReplyDelete